Monday, October 26, 2009

Barely better than feral

TB's class had a field trip today. We went to the Early American Museum at Lake of the Woods. The point that I'm quite possibly the least domesticated person in the world was driven home time after time during our trip. First, the woman was talking about life on the prairie and showed the kids a cast iron skillet. She pointed out that some of their family's might have one. TB turned to me and asked if we had one. I told him no because they can't go in the dishwasher and I don't use dishes that can't go in the dishwasher. A little bit later, she was showing them some wool and said "if you have any wool coats or wool socks at home, this is what it is made out of" Again, he turns to me and says "do we have anything like that" and I responded "no, because wool doesn't do well in the washing machine and I won't own anything that can't be washed in the washing machine"

Of course, I was beaten over the head with the point when they went to the "blacksmith shop" and there was a kitchen stove. Sitting on top of it were iron pieces and she asked if the kids knew what they were. Because some of the kids have moms that do things like that, some of them knew they were irons that were being heated for use on the stove. TB did not know what they were. After his classmates revealed the answer, he turned to me and said "what is an iron for?" His teacher thought it was pretty funny and of course, I laughed because I don't own an iron. Honestly, I have a dryer, what do I need an iron for (and before you say it, iron on transfers are a legit use of irons but I've had a need for those twice in the last ten years)?

1 comment:

Mommy, Queen Of Everything said...

Take away all modern conveniences and I'd be one of the first to drop dead. I honestly don't know how pioneers did it back then, but it MUST have sucked, because when you look at all those old pictures no one is smiling.