Thursday, September 3, 2015

Reintroduction post

I've had this blog for a long time and in that time, it has been a lot of different things.  It started out as just a place to share pictures and stories about my kids.  Then, it became sort of a group record of all the things we did with friends and it was SUPER boring.  Like, "we went to the park today and had so much fun and then we went to the store" level boring.  I'm not even sure that my mom was willing to wade through all of that! LOL  Then it became a chronicle of our home projects and all the cool DIY stuff we were doing (I had a wild idea to start a cable access show about women DIY home projects and get picked up by the DIY channel and get super famous for making things and being snarky.  It didn't happen, sadly). Now, I've decided that I need to add to the already crowded homeschool blog network and will be trying to keep up on that for at least a little while.

I'm hoping to provide a unique perspective, as a new, secular, organized homeschooler of older kids, with a sense of humor.  I'm going to start promoting my blog a little bit more and hopefully pick up some new traffic.

For anyone new here, let me give you a quick introduction.
I'm the Fearless Freak.  I started homeschooling in November of 2014, after we had some terrible problems with public school.  Prior to that, we had been all in with public school. I'd been the PTA president, class mom, school volunteer, field trip chaperone, committee chair, fundraiser organizer, etc.  Basically, you name it, I did it.  I taught preschool for a number of years and worked as a lunch lady until I came home to teach them full time.  I like to make things, I've taught myself how to knit and sew and I'm working on learning crochet.  I've also spent a lot of time learning how to do home repair things, so we can remodel our house on a budget.  I never used to be very organized, but over the years, I've had to learn how and I've been a little nuts about it.  I'm also pretty cheap and hate spending money if I don't have to.  I have an attitude problem and a smart mouth, a sometimes lethal combination.

Hubs is Radioactive Freak (RF).  He works long hours to support our homeschooling choices. and likes to play video games in his spare time.

Son is Wild Freak (WF).  He's nearly 14 and in 8th grade.  He has some learning challenges, including dyslexia and ADHD and, I suspect, some Executive Functioning Disorder.  Since it doesn't matter to how we teach him, we've never had it formally diagnosed.  He loves video games, paintball, and bowling and doesn't like his sister or doing school work.

Daughter is Magnificent Freak(MF). She's 10 in 5th grade.  She is a pretty typical preteen, will all the accompanying attitude. She has recently discovered a love of Harry Potter and fan fiction. She also loves One Direction, cats (all animals really, but particularly cats), and talking to her friends.  She does not like getting up in the morning or her brother (sensing a theme?)

Dark Freak (DF) is my step daughter. She is 18 and doesn't live with us, but might make an occasional appearance here.

Additionally, we have Charlie, a perpetually stupid chihuahua who is pretty sure he is a cat and Princess, a gray cat who loves people and is pretty sure she is in charge around here (Somedays, I'm inclined to agree).

Going forward, I'll try to do more pictures and less walls of text, but no promises.  I've got way too much say, about most everything! :)

Welcome aboard, gang.

No comments: