Sunday, August 12, 2007

Odds and Ends

This is what the post the other night was supposed to be about.

Thursday, I registered C for K. It took almost an hour, between filling out all the papers, talking to the bus people, talking to the public health people, and joining the PTA. I don't know whether I'll be the teachers dream parent or worst nightmare. Either way, it should be a fun year. :) The way schools work here is that if you live within 1.5 miles of the school you are considered proximity A and have an 85% chance of going to that school. You list your top 3 choices and are entered into a lottery to see what school you will go to. We got our first choice school (good thing because our second 2 choices fill on the first round and if I hadn't gotten one of those 3, I would have homeschooled for K and tried again to get our first choice for 1st). The concern is that you don't get bus service if you are prox A unless "hazardous walking conditions exsist between home and school" We live on the other side of a major road and I would consider that hazardous walking conditions but I needed to see what the school said. They said that yes, they think that is hazardous and gave me his bus pick up and drop off point. Problem? Yes. the pick up point is further away from our house than the school and it crosses not one, but two major roads. I have to call tomorrow and see if that is possibly right and if not get a new location. C will unlikely be riding the bus ever but if I need him to, I need to know where to go.

I had to talk to public health because we don't have an actual dentist. We go to Parkland, which is great. Unfortunately, their exams don't count for school. Since the kids have Kidcare (state insurance), not all dentists will take us. I called the hotline and was given a list of the 6 closest dentist, all of which were in Peoria or Galesburg. Not exactly close :( Fortuantely, public health does exams at school for all the kids needing them in December so we are set! :)

I joined the PTA as well. I had planned to do it but I was a little put off because it cost $5. Seems odd to charge for a volunteer organization. Whatever, I paid it and got my little card. I also signed up for a couple of things to do. I said I would help with Teacher Appreciation stuff (probably buying gift certificates and things like that) and I said I would help take pictures for the year book. I figure,I'm going to be there taking pictures of the events anyway, why not take a few extra burn them to a disk and give them to the yearbook people. I signed up to help in C's classroom sometimes too (I plan to do this a few times a month, while Evan can be home with Lizzie)

Also, Lizzie is working really hard on potty training. She has been pooping in the potty pretty much full time (once in awhile she won't but anything is better than nothing) for the last couple of weeks. Since Weds, she has been dry all day, except naptime, while wearing a diaper. A couple of times she has had an accident in the evening but she tells us right away that she went. Mostly, it is about the time she is getting ready for bed and I think she is just tired and not thinking about it. I'm so excited. I'm ready to be DONE with diapers forever more.

Dad and Dave got back from Sturgis yesterday. They had a really good time, although they were ready to be home. They brought stuff for everyone. The kids got a couple of T-shirts a piece. C got a bobble head buffalo and "wild west weapon set" with bow and arrow, dart gun, bowie knife, etc. Lizzie got a stuffed Buffalo and a cow. She brought the buffalo to Evan and said "see my kitty?" He told her it was a buffalo and she said "oh. Meow?" LOL Evan and I got t-shirts as well. Evan's came from a place that turned into a strip club at night and all the dancer wait tables during the day. Dad got mine from some vendor. It has a white scowling skull and crossbones surrounded by flames and says, in red, "Sturgis, Live to Ride" on a black shirt. Dad told the guy "I'm looking for a shirt for my daughter" and the guy showed him some junk with butterflies on it. Dad said "You don't understand, my daughter is mean. Really mean. And rotten" The guy held up this shirt and Dad and David both proclaimed "that is perfect"! Do they know me or what :)

Evan started full time today. He was extra number 5 of 12. Basically he spent the day sitting on his butt. That is going to be the story of his life for the next week, until his regular run starts. Glad to finally have 40 a week no matter what.

No comments: