Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Oscar the Grouch

Or possibly grumpy from either the 7 Dwarfs or the Carebears is me tonight. I made a pissy comment about allergies on my playgroup list and got a bunch of flack over it. I've felt less and less like I belong in this group recently and I think this was the final straw. I don't regret what I said, I just regret that it was the tipping point and will likely cause me to leave the group. It is a great local resource, full of what I used to think were like minded moms. There are still plenty of people that I like and get along with, I just don't feel like my practices are in line with the group ideals any longer. It is for "natural families" and I don't do any of that stuff anymore. Lizzie didn't nurse past 6 months, I gave up on cloth diapers, I don't buy organic, I'm not veggie (and have no interest in being), I don't homeschool, I vax to some degree, C is circed etc, etc, etc. I've always been kind of the odd mad out. Another mom and I are about the soggiest of the bunch, but since she WOH and has 4 kids she is crazy busy and we never get to hang out. We have a playgroup tomorrow but it is going to be too hot so I doubt I will go. The group has a website and I might monitor that once in awhile to see what is happening.

Now, I'm left finding people to hang out with again. I've searched yahoo groups and came up with squat. I tried goggling as well and came up with meetup.com which charges $2 a month or moms and more that charges like $45 a year. I don't really want to pay to go to a playgroup but I need friends. I'm hoping that once C starts school, I'll meet some other parents and then it won't matter. If not, I might just have to suck it up and pay for one of the other groups.

Apparently, I'm a bad person. What - the hell - ever. I don't need that crap.

Anyway, next post should be less gripy and more fun because it will have pictures of my cool new centers that are set up and ready to use! I'm going to do a "math" center as well, if I can figure out where to put it. I'm going to put sorting bears, unifix cubes and file folder games in it. It will be fun :)

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I hear you on not always feeling like I belong (and I started the group!!!). I feel like I am worlds away most of the time - which I guess is OK for now. I know you will make lots of new friends with school starting for C. I know I did. In fact those are the friends I see and socialize with every day. It is nice however to have friends of all sorts so I hope you will hang around! We can all be pissy some days! Everyone will forget soon enough - believe me I have said some pretty nasty stuff on that list and I haven't been kicked off yet. I am sure I have made many enemies however. :) I hope you will stay and maybe we can plan something before summer is gone and our little men are in school! Yikes!!!

leealice said...

Tell thoes other moms " Up your ziggie with a wah-wah brush!" I found that if others don't like your parenting style then tell 'em to go where the sun don't shine and then avoid them at all cost! You never know when the odd loonie-loo will call CPS just becuse you give your kids suger on a daily basis or something else of the like.

michaelhyman3000 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Me said...

I feel your pain, I'm setting up a link to my blog www.stay-at-home-daddy-drivel.blogspot.com/