Thursday, October 4, 2007

911 Calls

Have you ever had to call 911? I have. Twice, as a matter of fact. Once when C was about 6 weeks old we were coming home from the ILS on Xmas eve. It was snowing a blowing something horrible and we see this car in front of us weaving all over the road. He kept randomly slamming on his brakes and swerving everywhere. Finally, I called 911 and reported him as a drunk driver. Just as we got to the edge of the town that we lived in at the time, the cops came hauling out of town and pulled him over.

Then I had to do it again today. I took the kids to McDonald's to play for a bit and I had to run to the store on the way home. When I pulled into the store parking lot, I see a kid sitting in the car in front of me. I look a little closer and realize that there are 2 kids in the car. I looked all over and saw no adults that were anywhere near by. On the way into the store, I stopped at customer service and told them about it and told them they needed to find the parents or call the cops. Then I went about getting my milk. I was in the store about 10 minutes and when I got back to my van, the kids were still in the car, there was still no adult and there was no one from the store either :( So I called 911 and gave them the make and model of the car along with the license plate. I would have liked to have stuck around to see that the cops did show up but I had both kids with me and they were getting tired and grouchy and I was already running late to get home and get dinner started so dh could eat before he left for work. I ended up having to leave and I can only hope the cops really did show up. The windows of the car were rolled down and the kids were probably 5 or 6 so not babies but young enough. Honestly, I hope that the parents were arrested or at least ticketed for child endangerment.

I was all shaky about it and amped up for probably an hour afterward. It still kind of makes me jittery just typing it out. I don't know why. Probably adreneline or something

No comments: