Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Preschool and preschool at home

I've done more research on preschools and unless I get the principal of a local high school to call me back, I think I have figured out what we want to do. I'm fairly certain we are going to end up going with the park district preschool program. Unfortunately, a lot of the others I looked at were religious based (which is fine, but having taught in that environment, I don't think I want that again also I have this huge post about religion composed in my head but I know that it will piss off and alienate most of my friends so I'm hesitate to actually put the thoughts out there), super expensive (when did $160 become the going rate for 2 days a week of preschool?), or don't offer a 2 day option for 3 year olds. I just don't think that 3 day a week is the best choice for someone who is barely 3. I'm going to call them and see about a visit in the next couple of months and then enrollment is in April. I'm still debating if I want to go with the 3 year old classes or if I want to hold off until 4 but touring won't hurt in either case. I toured C's school probably 5 times before I settled on it. :)

Some of you may remember that I set up my house to resemble a preschool, with centers and everything. At last posting, my centers were complete except math and science. Well it still isn't complete, but at least I've started on it. I started making discovery bottles tonight. Click here for several ideas Over all they are pretty easy, although I've only made a few. Basically, you just need empty water bottles and the stuff to put in them. So far, all I've done are the liquid bottles. We did an ocean bottle, which turned out great. Two glitter bottles, which are ok. If you do these (from the above link) don't put food coloring in the water. It just makes the glitter hard to see. So we did oen with red food coloring and red glitter and on with just red glitter. I also made a quite bottle (which Lizzie is currently sleeping with LOL)that didn't turn out so great. I don't know if it was because they syrup I used was at least 2 years old or if it was because it was light syrup or if it was because I put the wrong stuff in it but in any case, instead of remaining suspended in the liquid like it is supposed to, it all floats to the top. I can make it move by flipping the bottle endlessly end over end, but it takes a while and is a pain.

I have most of my file folder games colored and ready to be cut out and glued, I just need to get on it and get it done. Of course, we have the counting bears and the unifix cubes and I need something to store the magnifying glasses in. I need to get a couple of other discovery bottles done. I'm thinking the magnetic bottle, I just need to find the stuff to put in it and get some magnets. I also want to buy magnet balls and wands and a balance scale but that will have to wait until I have more money.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I started working on the preschool thing too. It is mind-boggling difficult! I'm already applying to places for next year. I admire your resourcefulness and motivation with your house; maybe you should start your own :-)

Rachie-Babe said...

It is sooooo cool that you have your house set up that way! Neat-o!

Rachie-Babe said...

ps--

Thanks for linking to me! ;-)