Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Dumbass

I was cleaning a pan and I left it on the stove to boil so that the bacon gunk would come out easier. Then I came in the living room, sat down and set about finishing my book (which seriously, I'm sick of books killing off my favorite characters). It took longer than I thought to finish it and by the time I was done, I had forgetten all about the pan. That is, until I smelled a horrible burning smell! I ran into the kitchen and turned it off before it caught fire (it was smoking a little) but now my house reaks and I'm afraid I ruined one of my good pans :(

8 comments:

Looseyfur said...

I did this with stew once. I went away and everything at the bottom burned. I sat it outside on our patio in our first apartment and swore like crazy. Then I threw the whole thing away and had to buy another giant sauce pan. I was so pissed off. And the kitchen reeked of burned crap for days.

Looseyfur said...

That is just to say -- you're not alone.

Evan said...

I saw the topic and I was SURE this one was all about me.

SORRY HON, You are TOTALLY the best wife out there

Love you TONS

-RF

Quigs78 said...

LOL I thought it was going to be about RF, too! :)

I have no advice about the pan or the smell - but you made me want to eat bacon.

Quigs78 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jason said...

If it was a non-stick pan, you should probably get rid of it. If it wasn't (e.g. it's cast iron, stainless, or aluminum), then you're only limited by how well you can clean off the gunk.

VeganLinda said...

OMG! You just saved my house from burning down. I left my cast iron skillet on the burner with water heating to get the fried tofu off and came upstairs because Josie woke up. I totally forgot about it...about 1/2 an hour ago I wondered what the smell was, but assumed it was leftover smell from baking pizza tonight. It didn't hit me until I read you post that I had left the pan on the burner. Now how freaky is that?

Jennifer said...

Oh darn.... well if it helps - you aren't the first one to do that. I am sure someday I am going to burn the house down. I always turn the wrong burner on and have things setting on the others - the worst was a cookbook that caught fire! Will we ever learn... fire = HOT! :)