Friday, January 25, 2008

Best Lasagna?

Pioneer woman's lasagna

I made this today. It is ok, but I would hardly classify it as the best lasagna ever (I'm quite fond of the 9 layer lazagna at the Macaroni Grill). You use sausage, hamburger, dried basil, sliced mozzerella, Kraft Parmesian cheese, etc. Basically, I picked it because of the availablity of the items. There was no fresh grated buffalo cheese or sunlight grown organic basil or anything else "wierd" I made it. It wasn't hard, but it was time consuming. You have to brown the beef and the sausage and then mix it with tomatoes and spices and then let simmer for 45 minutes. Then you mix all the inside stuff and layer it all together. I specifically bought the no boil noodles, which I'm quite happy with. Then you bake it for 30 minutes until everything is all bubbly and golden. I took it out just in time to go get C from school so I didn't get to try it while it was hot. Might make a difference, might not.

A couple of things I will change for the future. I will use MORE MORE MORE cheese. I've already called my mom and asked her to pick up some more cheese on her way home from work because one pound is NO WHERE NEAR ENOUGH. I'm having her bring another half pound and next time I might kick it up to 2. There is no such thing as too much cheese so I figure I can't go wrong with that. Also, I think it has too much of something else. Either basil or parsley, I'm not sure which. I'm going to experiment with different amounts going foward. Finally, it tastes slightly sweet. Probably from the tomatoes. I think I will add a little extra salt to counter act the sweetness or I'll not buy the no salt added tomato paste.

No comments: