Thursday, January 3, 2008

Potty Progress

I know, everyone is sick of hearing about potty training. Hopefully, this will be the last post on the subject. Several weeks ago, I told Lizzie that if she would go potty in the potty all the time, I would buy her some neat Dora or Brabie or Princess underpants. She wasn't really impressed but we kept talking it up, hoping she would get the idea. A few weeks ago, I decided to just buy some plain, boring underwear to see how it when (side note: why oh why can't you find little girl underwear in plain white? I wanted the most boring thing I could find and finally had to settle on the multi pack with some white and some prints) I started by enticing her with the sparkly butterfly underwear and each morning asked her if she wanted to be a baby or a big girl that day. Some days she picked baby and we put a diaper on. Some days she picked big girl and we put underwear on. Whenever she wore the underwear, we would remind her that big girls go pee in the potty all the time. Eventually, it got to the point of picking underwear every day and her saying "I'm a big girl, I go pee pee in the potty all the time" For the first week she was in underwear, we were the ones who were being trained. Every hour, I would flat insist that she had to use the potty and she always did. She didn't ask and if I let her go past, she had an accident. For the last couple of weeks now, she has been asking on her own and only had minor accidents (like when she told my mom "nonni I need to go potty" several times and my mom didn't hear her and she peed on the floor). Still diapers at night, but I imagine that will be a while yet. C was in diapers at night until he was 4. And honestly, that is one diaper, sometimes 2 if she wakes up and has to go in the middle of the night.

So now, that she has pottying pretty well down, I can start looking at preschools. I was afraid to even start looking seriously since she had to be potty trained and I didn't want to hassle with it if she wasn't going to be. Also, now I need to go get her some neat underpants since I promised. :)

1 comment:

Jenna said...

Ah potty training...its a way of life with little ones. We are finally at the end of the tunnel..I hope. Just using diapers for sleep times!

My boys love to go and pick out new undies!