Friday, December 12, 2008

Happy New Year (unless you have kids)

Can someone please explain to me why there is not a single group or organization anywhere in this town (or any closer than frikkin' Springfield) that does any kind of family friendly New Year's Eve night event? We have a playgroup thing in the afternoon and I've seen that other places as well (a Noon Year's Eve celebration) which is great for younger kids and my kids will have a good time at but I want something to do in the evening with the kids. In years past, we've gone to Tuscola to their New Year's Eve dance that ran from 7-12. This was perfect for us because we could go for a couple of hours and still have the kids home at a reasonable hour. Apparently, they have cancelled it (it didn't happen last year and it isn't on the calendar for this year), which sucks! I simply can't believe that we don't have a First Night celebration or that the park districts don't do something. You can't tell me that I'm the only parent in the whole town that wants to celebrate New Years Eve with my kids.

If I had unlimited money, I would rent a space, hire a DJ, bring in food and throw a family friendly New Year's Eve bash. I can only imagine there must be interest and the only reason that Tuscola faded is because it is too small of a town to support that and it is too far from CU to be worth the drive (especially on New Year's when the likely hood of drunks and bad weather goes up).

No comments: