Monday, September 17, 2007

Breastfeeding rooms

http://www.thecowgoddess.com/?p=723

Being the punk-ass that I am, I never saw nursing rooms as a "you must nurse here" type of thing. I always looked at them as nice to have if you needed that sort of thing but not required. C went through a phase, shortly before I weaned him where any sound would catch his attention and he would turn his head to look at it. The problem was, he didn't latch off when he did it, thus stretching my nipple halfway across the room. That was when we started the "dark and silent" nursing sessions. Anyone that dared come in the house while he was nursing was subject to a violent beating! Nursing in public was OUT OF THE QUESTION. I ADORED nursing rooms during this time period.

I think too many breastfeeders feel persecuted and so feel that they must use things like this. I always felt it was my absolute right to nurse anywhere and everywhere that I went and if people didn't like it, they could just not look.

Once upon a time, we took C and A to the Children's museum in Chicago. They had a beautiful nursing room but I couldn't watch A and be in there and it wasn't "lets go to Chicago and sit in a nursing room" It was "Lets go to the museum". I plopped myself down in the middle of the young children's area (where I could see her no matter where she went) and proceeded to nurse until he fell asleep. No one said anything to me and I can't imagine anyone doing that (I wouldn't have stood for it and there would have been hell to pay had someone tried to force me ot move). Maybe people don't mess with me because my whole attitude screams "screw you" :)

No comments: