Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Making friends as an adult

I've noticed that I have a rather hard time making friends. I'm too much of a hippy for normal people and I'm too normal for hippy people. Some of you remember my post about leaving my playgroup because I felt like I wasn't alternative enough to be a part of that group anymore. It was nothing that anyone said, just a general feeling from some of the members of the group :( I joined a new play group and I'm not terribly happy with them either. First problem, they almost exclusively have young children. Most of the kids in the group are between birth and maybe 2. As far as I know, C is the oldest kid in the group and Liz is even a little old for most of the kids. In my old playgroup, the kids ranged in age from newborn (because someone was always having a baby LOL) to 15 (although she didn't really come to playgroups so the typical age was around 8 or 10) so there was always someone to play with. There were also like 8 babies born between May and Sept 2005 so there were TONS of kids Lizzie's age. The other problem is that while they have a boat load of meetings, I can't go to most of them because of timing. The ones I do get to go to, I see the same 5-10 people so it isn't really expanding my social circle to any great degree. There is also the issue of paying to be in a playgroup just kills me. I was hoping to meet more moms through the kids but that isn't working so well right now either.

Obviously, I'm not a typical mom. I'm sort of a free spirit (hence the blue hair) and I don't fit conventional SAHM standards. I wear camoflage shorts and Spongebob t-shirts and I have little girl who wears blue t-shirts and has short hair and generally doesn't look like a little girl. All the girls in Lizzie's classes are skirts and done hair and pink pink pink and their moms are the same way.

I've met a couple of cool moms through C's class so that is good, but Lizzie's stuff has been mainly a bust. There are a couple of people that I chat with (and one I would like to know better since she has a girl Lizzie's age and a 1st grader, which would be great and she seems vaguely hippy) but not anybody that I would consider a friend. Maybe the few that I chat with will develop into better friends as we take more of these classes. That would be cool.

One of the mom's in C's class suggested mothers and more. She is a member and she said that most of the members have kindergarteners and younger siblings, so perfect age group. Again, the idea of paying for a playgroup chaps me. She said the database and local referalls are worth it so I might have to check it out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I've seen you and Lizzy at the library 2-year-old storytime. Lizzy is a beautiful child!

Anonymous said...

Good blog for adult friends..
For free matrimony, free social networking for singles, free Online dating site providing Dating services for free to singles. Any kind of singles, thin singles, fat singles, parent singles, singles dad mom are invited for free dating.