Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Gripes and growls and banks

Photowalking pictures will be posted later. I don't feel like messing with them right now. I got a letter from my bank yesterday and I'm ticked. My bank is being combined with another (terrible) bank in town. Because the other bank has a bunch of branches, my bank had to get rid of 5 branches as part of the merger. I assumed they would just be closing those branches because we would be gaining so many from the other bank.

Turns out, they are selling those branches (actually already have sold) to another bank. Mostly, I ignored the stuff about it because I don't bank at any of the branches that will be affected. Then I got this letter last night (although I just read it this morning) saying that despite the fact that I have never even been to most of the branches (I think I've been to one once or twice) because they are scattered all over town, my account is housed at one of the branches being sold off. As a result, my account was sold with the building!!! I'm so completely angry about this. I use the bank I use because there is a branch 3 blocks from my house. It is easy and close by and I can walk there is I want to.

I have some other accounts at another bank that is nearby and if I could get logged in and see if they have online bill pay, I'd switch all my stuff there today. As it is, I will be finding a new bank. I did not consent to having my account sold to a new bank. I was willing to wait and see on the merger because I knew about it. This came totally out of the blue. And really, it isn't that they switched my bank without telling me. It is the fact that there are no good branches of this new bank. I'm not driving all over town for a bank when I had one I was perfectly happy with within sight of my house.

First, I'm calling my bank and throwing a fit. I'm going to be very sure to let them know that I'm leaving because of this. They should house the accounts in the main branch or the branch most often used. They shouldn't be able to just sell off accounts without telling people that it is happening. Finally, because they are FORCING me to change banks, they will be paying to get me all new checks and cards and everything else. I just have find a bank with online bill pay that has more than one location.

3 comments:

Rob Rubin said...

Hi,

I saw your blog while doing a search. My company has just rolled out a Beta of a tool to make it easier to switch banks (BankSwitcher). In less than 10 minutes, you'll have a personalized Switching Checklist (a PDF document) containing all the forms and instructions you'll need to switch banks.

It's free to use and totally safe. I'd love your feedback about it. The URL is:

www.bankswitcher.com

I hope BankSwitcher will make switching banks easier for you.

Best regards,

Rob Rubin
CEO, Facilitas Inc.

Cheryl said...

Uggg...my bank has been bought out so many times it's crazy! I know how frustrating it is to get eat'n alive by the big guys!

Henny Penny said...

I would be so angry too. When I'm working again (hopefully soon) I'm going to check out credit unions.