Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Music part 2

I have an issue with this
On principal, I hate it. As woman who doesn't need a man to take care of me and the mother to a daughter who, if current personality is any indication certainly won't either, I find lines like "On behalf of every man looking out for every girl" to be highly offensive. As a mother to a son who is fairly sensitive I also take issue with the line "Boys, you can break You find out how much they can take Boys will be strong And boys soldier on" So I hate most of the lyrics and the intent behind the song. However, I actually really like the melody and it makes the song not only listenable but almost good. If the lyrics were less terrible, it would a darn good song that I would be willing to have on my MP3 player. As it is, it isn't :(

Now for the funny. As most of you know, I was raised with a non-religious background (in fact, I claimed to be atheist until I was in second grade and had a teacher tell me, after I asked her, that she believed in God because if there wasn't a God she wouldn't have her kids). However, at one point in my childhood, I decided that I wanted to go to church so my mom started taking me to the local Methodist church. While I was going there, I decided to join the choir. During my time in the choir we did a Christmas program and we were talking about the songs we were doing. The director told us that we would be singing "Joy to the World"

I was completely psyched but I was a little confused about how exactly it was a Christmas song. Little did I know that there were two songs by the same name and the one I had grown up listening to wasn't exactly the one they were planning to sing

No comments: