Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Breastfeeding

China’s Breastfeeding Hero

Chengdu, China - A Chinese policewoman is contributing to the country’s massive earthquake relief effort in a very personal way - by breastfeeding eight babies.

A newspaper in Chengdu, the capital of quake-hit Sichuan province, devoted a special page to the 29-year-old woman, calling her a “hero”.

The woman from the quake-ravaged town of Jiangyou has just had a child herself, the Western Urban Daily said.

She is nursing the children of three women who were left homeless by the quake and are too traumatised to give milk, as well as five orphans, the report said.

The babies who lost their parents have been put in an orphanage which does not have powdered milk, it said.


May I just say "Holy freaking cow!" Nursing 1 baby at a time wore me the hell out. I can not even imagine nursing 9 babies. How could she possibly have time to do anything else besides sit and nurse?

7 comments:

SunnyD said...

I hope someone is looking out for her as well as she's looking out for those babies!

Quigs78 said...

I'm probably a horrible person for saying this out loud, but I hated bf. Every minute of it.

So kudos to her because I don't know that I could do it. I think I'd have to ride the selfish train in this case.

Man, I suck.

The Fearless Freak said...

With TB, I didn't mind it but he was a pretty easy baby to nurse. He simply wanted to eat, no muss no fuss.

With MT, I hated it and dreaded every single session. They were filled with screaming and crying (from both of us) and much cursing (mostly from me, although I'm sure if she could have talked, she would have been uttering some colorful phrases of her own).

When we finally stopped (at 6 months, as opposed to the 18 that TB managed even though I worked full time the whole time with him), my emotioned warred for a very long time (still, to a small degree) between totally relieved that I didn't HAVE to do that anymore and hella guilty that I hadn't tried harder to BE ABLE to do it.

In retrospect, I tried as hard as anyone could but I spent a long time berating myself that I could have done X, Y or Z and it would have been different.

I think most of that guilt stemmed from the fact that breastfeeding is SUPPOSED to be this natural wonderful thing and I was so not feeling that aspect of it.

Lavender Lemonade said...

I had a similar situation- with Bug being a great, easy nurser until 18 mos. and then the scab-producing torture sessions with Mealyworm ended early, about 10 months. And every time Mealyworm gets an ear infection or whatever, I stab myself in the heart one more time...maybe if I tried harder I could have prevented this. Aargh...it is so fun to create new ways to inflict mental anguish on ourselves.

Misc said...

Both my kids nursed until they were 2 1/2 years old, with 2 weeks overlap when Flynn was born and Evan then weened himself.

God bless that woman in China. I hope she's getting some help - like a pump. Those babies are so lucky to have her.

VeganLinda said...

Wow! I don't know how I missed that story. I've bf my friends babies before, but nothing like that. Amazing!

Anonymous said...

Good God that woman is brave. My nipples hurt just thinking about it.